Friday, July 18, 2014

What Will You Be When You Grow Up?

“What will you be when you grow up???” – This is probably one of the questions every one of us would have heard a thousand times, during our school days.


I was also no exception, heard it a million times! Someday, I replied my real wish freely and sometimes got influenced by the peers/parents, and in some odd-times, I did not really have any answer but silence.

So for a change, now I asked a same question to some of my friends (who are parents of 4-8 years old kids) – “What do you want your kids to be when they grow up?” – I got a wide range of responses. But no one really said that they want their kids to pursue a specific profession as an engineer or doctor; No one really said that they want anything in particular. What all they want is their kid to grow up to be a good human being, well-educated (doesn't matter what stream it is), just be happy & healthy, a better life than the what we had!

And I asked the same question to my daughter and a few of her friends in the age of 4-8. And their reply also completely put me surprised. My daughter wants to be a Chef and an Artist. Her friend aspires to become a lawyer; the other guy sees him as Car Engineer. Singer, Dancer, …and the list continues….

So, here’s my take:
  • There’s an ocean of difference in the way parents of today view their kids (compared to the our generation), what they expect from their kids and the kind of life that they want for their kids
  • Today’s Kids are also really well-informed. Kids express themselves freely. Gone are the days when we hidden behind our parents or looked for permission to respond to any query…

Feel really happy about today’s generation of parents and kids !

Share this

0 Comment to "What Will You Be When You Grow Up?"