Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sivagamiyin Sabadham


When I decided to write about the books I admired about , my first thought was to write about the book “Sivagamiyin Sabatham” by Kalki.

Sivagamiyin Sabadham is a novel of epic proportions, with Pallava Empire at its magnificent best as a backdrop, in the 6th century AD.

The novel traces the lives, trials and tribulations of,

• Sivakami, a dancer in the Pallava Empire,
• much admired and respected, her beloved, the Crown Prince Mamalla Narasimha Pallavar,
• his best friend and comrade-in-arms Paranjyothi,
• the multi-faceted, supremely talented warrior King, Mahendra Pallavar.
• Naga Nandhi – Buddhist and brother of King Pulikesi
• King of Vadhabi, Chalukya Emperor, Pulikesi
• Mamalla’s spies & Soliders

I have visited mamallapuram and Kanchipuram for 2-3 times before. The rock sculptures were beautiful and expressive; Beautiful sculptures cut in rock by the sea side were marvelous; but that was all they were to me, till I read Sivagamiyin Sabatham; But, Now I'd see Mamalla and Mahendra Pallava near the sea temple ; Sivagami dancing in the Kanchi temple!!!

"Sivagamiyin Sabatham" - a story of romance, art, History, War, Politics…. all woven together in a single story.

I read all four volumes without missing a word, It’s simply superb and will remain in my mind for ever. If you’re looking for Historical Novel, then I’d strongly recommend “'Sivagamiyin Sabatham'for sure.

Find the Complete story summary here .

Happy reading !!!

Share this

4 Comments to "Sivagamiyin Sabadham"

Anonymous said...

my mom and dad bought this book for my birthday.wow!!! its awesome... a true love story...it teaches us that love is just a part of our life...it comes for everyone...and goes.. god only has to decide our life partner...we should be mature enough to accept the pain of love...

irs said...

Vanakkam

Thanks for creating awareness and writing up - Kalki's works definitely needs to go places and for the next generation - here is an attempt - check it out

http://youtu.be/aPFr_P57c9c

Also check out Ponniyin Selvan Audio book and Parthiban Kanavu Audio book (samples are on you tube)

Nandri

Pon Paulraj said...

You can download this book and manymore other good ones from this site http://books.tamilcube.com/tamil/

Pon Paulraj said...

Thanks irs